- FY2013 Budget Information (2012-2013 School Year)
- FY2012 Budget Information (2011-2012 School Year)
- FY2011 Budget Information (2010-2011 School Year)
- FY2010 Budget Information (2009-2010 School Year)
- FY2008, 2009 Budget Information
- School Warrants and Accounts Payable
FY2013 Budget Information 2012-2013
2012-2013 School Year
On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 the Medford School Committee unanimously passed a $47,483,000 budget for fiscal year 2013, which corresponds with the 2012-2013 school year.
Important programs and positions that were potentially going to be cut or reduced were restored, including kindergarten aides, an assistant principal position, a vocational teacher, math and science textbooks, middle school foreign language, freshmen sports, student activities, and maintenance.
The budget was approved by the City Council.
Prefer a PDF? Please click here.
FY2012 Budget Information 2011-2012
2011-2012 School Year
In June 2011 the Medford School Committee unanimously approved a $44,900,000 budget for fiscal year 2012, which begins July 1, 2011 and runs through June 30, 2012. The FY2012 budget is $1,700,000 more than the current year’s budget. However, that figure isn’t really an increase since $2.5 million was needed to create a level-funded budget (a budget with the same level of services) due to an overall increase in fixed costs. Additionally, a small number of retirements (nine this year versus twenty-two last year) won’t offset costs as much as in previous years.
Mayor Michael McGlynn has agreed to identify an additional $124,000 outside of the budget. Part of that money- $50,000- will be used for the athletic department to help fund a budget gap. The bulk- $74,000- is being used along with $100,000 that resulted from negotiations with the custodial union to restore projected budget cuts. The restorations include the support services specialist position at Medford High School; kindergarten aides; library aides; 0.6 (part-time) school nurse; $5,000 for maintaining equipment at the Vocational School; and $10,000 to partially restore a $20,000 cut to the student activities fund.
An increase in enrollment made it necessary for a fifth first grade teacher at the Brooks Elementary School, an additional sixth grade teacher at the Andrews Middle School, and three special education teachers.
A weak economy and a continued decrease in state aid have unfortunately led to cumulative years of cuts, including a decrease of secretaries and assistant principals and the need for directors to cover more than one department. However, class size has remained decent, a comprehensive curriculum is in place, and substantial programs and services continue to be offered, including busing at no cost.
Despite tough economic times and much anxiety over the budget, Mayor McGlynn said this was one of the smoothest budget processes in the past five years. The Mayor praised School Superintendent Roy Belson, Budget and Finance Director Ann Giombetti, the School Committee, the City Council, and City Budget Director Stephanie Muccini Burke for their role in preparing the FY2012 budget.
“They did a great job in a very difficult year,” said Mayor McGlynn.
The Mayor and Superintendent also praised parents and other members of the school community for the great turnout at Monday’s school budget meeting.
“It shows they are very much involved in our school system,” said Mayor McGlynn.
The school budget is currently before the Medford City Council for consideration. The Council will vote on the budget during their meeting on Tuesday, June 28. The meeting can be watched live on Channel 16 in Medford.
Monday’s School Committee budget hearing will be replayed on Channel 15 in two parts on Wednesday, June 22 starting at 7:00pm and again on Saturday, June 25 and Sunday, June 26 at 11:00am.
- Fiscal Year 2011 and Fiscal Year 2012 Itemized Budget
- Fiscal Year 2012 Budget Restorations
- Fiscal Year 20012 Budget Block Summary
- Fiscal Year 2004-2012 Budget Comparison
FY2011 Budget Information (Updated June 18, 2010)
2010-2011 School Year
School Committee Passes FY2011 Budget
The Medford School Committee voted 7-0 to pass the fiscal year 2011 school budget on June 23, 2010 at the Budget Hearing.
The approved FY 2011 budget is $43,185,000.
The budget passed with two amendments. The first amendment restored several proposed cuts:
- 1 Guidance Counselor at MHS $45,424
- 1 Submaster coverage at MHS $48,137 (hybrid submaster appointment using current MPS teacher, stipend and replacement teacher)
- 1 Assistant Elementary Principal coverage/ELL replacement $23,170 (redeployment of ELL Coordinator to combination Elementary Assistant Principal coverage and ELL Coordinator)
- 1 Elementary Teacher/Class size reduction $41,621
- 0.4fte Foreign Language Teacher at MHS $16,648 (restoration of MHS Foreign Language AP classes)
The total addition to the budget of the above items is $175,000.
The second amendment increases the Athletic User Fees as follows:
- $25 per participant per sport (excluding Hockey and Football)
- $50 per participant for Hockey and Football
- $50 Family Cap to a maximum of $500
The school budget will go before the Medford City Council for approval on Tuesday, June 29 at 7:00pm at Medford City Hall.
FY 2011 Budget Documents
- Superintendent Belson’s Budget Message (PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2011 School Budget (PDF)
- FY2011 Budget Pie Chart (PDF)
Superintendent Belson Provides Update on Schools
Medford School Superintendent Roy Belson and Assistant Superintendent Beverly Nelson hosted an evening with parents, faculty, staff, and community members to provide an update on the schools on Tuesday, May 18, 2010.
Special thanks to Andrews Middle School Principal Tim Blake and Assistant Principal Paul D’Alleva for hosting the event and to the Andrews Middle School PTO for providing the refreshments.
Their presentation included:
- School budget information
- An overview of legislation affecting the schools, including education reform and the new anti-bullying law
- Ideas on how to energize the home/school partnership
- How to provide our students with a 21st century education
- Click here to view the PowerPoint presentation delivered by Superintendents Belson and Nelson (PDF).
FY2010 Budget Information (Updated July 2, 2009)
2009-2010 School Year
The Medford School Committee passed a $43,010,000 budget for fiscal year 2010 on June 29, 2009.
Below are documents presented at the June 24 budget meeting (both updated July 2, 2009):
Budget Presentation by Superintendent Belson May 27, 2009
School Superintendent Roy Belson delivered a presentation on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 about current school programs, the economic challenge facing the schools, and ideas and actions that can make a difference. The presentation was followed by a question and answer session.
- Click here to read the Superintendent’s Powerpoint presentation (PDF)
- Click here to see Medford’s Cherry Sheet (referenced in the presentation) and the city’s Fiscal Year 2010 Local Aid Estimates and Assessments (PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2009 9C Cuts (Excel)
- Fiscal Year 2009 Adjusted Budget, February 5, 2009 (Excel)
- Fiscal Years 2008, 2009 Budget Summary (Excel)
- August 16, 2012
- July 16, 2012
- June 1, 2012
- May 15, 2012
- May 3, 2012
- March 30, 2012
- March 5, 2012
- February 22, 2012
- January 19, 2012
- December 16, 2011
- December 2, 2011
- November 21, 2011
- November 4, 2011
- October 14, 2011
- September 30, 2011
- September 9, 2011
- July 21, 2011
- June 17, 2011
- June 2, 2011
- May 11, 2011
- April 25, 2011
- March 31, 2011
- March 17, 2011
- March 2, 2011
- January 26, 2011
- January 5, 2011