FY2011 Budget Information
2010-2011 School Year (Updated June 18, 2010)
School Committee Passes FY2011 Budget
The Medford School Committee voted 7-0 to pass the fiscal year 2011 school budget on June 23, 2010 at the Budget Hearing.
The approved FY 2011 budget is $43,185,000.
The budget passed with two amendments. The first amendment restored several proposed cuts:
- 1 Guidance Counselor at MHS $45,424
- 1 Submaster coverage at MHS $48,137 (hybrid submaster appointment using current MPS teacher, stipend and replacement teacher)
- 1 Assistant Elementary Principal coverage/ELL replacement $23,170 (redeployment of ELL Coordinator to combination Elementary Assistant Principal coverage and ELL Coordinator)
- 1 Elementary Teacher/Class size reduction $41,621
- 0.4fte Foreign Language Teacher at MHS $16,648 (restoration of MHS Foreign Language AP classes)
The total addition to the budget of the above items is $175,000.
The second amendment increases the Athletic User Fees as follows:
- $25 per participant per sport (excluding Hockey and Football)
- $50 per participant for Hockey and Football
- $50 Family Cap to a maximum of $500
The school budget will go before the Medford City Council for approval on Tuesday, June 29 at 7:00pm at Medford City Hall.
FY 2011 Budget Documents
- Superintendent Belson’s Budget Message (PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2011 School Budget (PDF)
- FY2011 Budget Pie Chart (PDF)
Superintendent Belson Provides Update on Schools
Medford School Superintendent Roy Belson and Assistant Superintendent Beverly Nelson hosted an evening with parents, faculty, staff, and community members to provide an update on the schools on Tuesday, May 18, 2010.
Special thanks to Andrews Middle School Principal Tim Blake and Assistant Principal Paul D’Alleva for hosting the event and to the Andrews Middle School PTO for providing the refreshments.
Their presentation included:
- School budget information
- An overview of legislation affecting the schools, including education reform and the new anti-bullying law
- Ideas on how to energize the home/school partnership
- How to provide our students with a 21st century education
- Click here to view the PowerPoint presentation delivered by Superintendents Belson and Nelson (PDF).