Arrival and Dismissal Information
Arrival/Dismissal Procedures for Brooks School
These procedures are designed with the anticipated traffic flow in mind. Procedures may be changed as the year progresses based on our experiences. Parking is limited in the area and the parking lot is for school staff only. Please be mindful of our neighbors and do not block their driveways. Do not park in the School Bus Drop Off Zone on Auburn Street before 9:00 AM or after 2:00 PM on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and 1:00 PM on Wednesday.
Students should not arrive prior to 8:15 AM, when outdoor supervision begins. Once students arrive they should go directly to their line; there is no playtime before school. Teachers bring the classes in at 8:30 AM. Students should be in their classrooms at 8:40 AM, the beginning of the school day.
Bus and School Van Students:
- Students will exit the bus or van under the supervision of school staff. Bus students line up by grade level at the Auburn Street entrance and van students with a classroom aide.
- At 8:30 staff will bring students into the school; other teachers will be in hallways and stairwells to direct Grade 2 to 5 students to their classrooms.
- Kindergarten and Grade 1 students will wait in line in the foyer in front of the office to meet their teacher or classroom aide and go with them to the classroom.
- Mr. King, Mrs. Sherman- Hudson and Mrs. Feltch will meet their students outside at the doors to their classrooms. Mrs. Micieli will meet her students at the door between Mrs. Feltch and Mrs. Sherman-Hudson. K students may not enter through classroom doors after 8:40 AM.
- Grades 1-5 will line up in the play areas on the Allston Street side of the building by grade.
If you wish to use the school driveway for drop-off, for the safety of all students please note:
- The driveway is one-way: enter from Prescott St., exit onto Allston St., right turn only when exiting during arrival and dismissal times.
- You must wait to pull over to the curb to drop off your children, children should exit only on right-hand side of the vehicle to avoid traffic in the driving lane and go directly to line up with other students in their class.
- Do not park or exit your car in the drop off area. If you wish to bring your child to his/her line you must park on the street.
The driveway can get very crowded with cars waiting to drop off students; your cooperation in moving through the area in a courteous, prompt, and safe way is needed.
Drop off is only allowed at the lower level entrance on the Allston Street side of school. Please do not bring your child in or drop your child off at the Auburn Street entrance before 9:00 AM. The Auburn Street entrance is only for students that have arrived by bus.
Students who arrive after 8:40 AM must check in at the main office before they go to class. Ring the doorbell to be let into the building. No one will be admitted through other doorways or kindergarten doors.
In the case of rain, snow, or extremely cold weather students will not wait outside in the morning. Grade K will go into the cafeteria and grades 1 through 5 will go into the gymnasium.
For the Safety of Our Students:
Parents, guardians, etc arriving for pick up are not to enter the school driveway while children are at recess and the orange cones are in place at the end of the driveway.
- Teachers and other staff members will supervise bus students in the gym on the third floor. Students will line up by bus number. A Kindergarten aide brings K students to the gym.
- Teachers or aides will bring the students out and assist them in boarding the van.
- The teachers dismiss K-3 students who are picked up or who walk home in the area of the main exit on Allston Street.
- The person meeting the child should identify himself or herself to the teacher. After the first full week of school, students in Grades 2-5 will be dismissed when they let the teacher know they have seen you. Kindergarten and Grade 1 students must always remain with the teacher until you or a designated person comes up to the teacher to greet them.
- If you are picking up in the driveway, please remember to stay in your car. Do not stop in the driving lane and allow your child to board the vehicle. Children should only enter the vehicle on the right side after you have pulled over to the curb.
- Students in Grades 4 and 5 will dismiss through the end door on Allston Street at the stairs. Please do not stop and block Allston Street to allow your child to board the vehicle. Children should only enter the vehicle after you have pulled over to the curb.
- If you stay to speak with a teacher, to enjoy the use the playground or to visit with friends, please do not park in the pick up area. The pick up area is the curb area from the staff entrance to the end of the driveway at Allston Street.
- Do not park in the area of the loading dock and dumpster. This area is for deliveries and custodian staff parking and should never be blocked by unattended vehicles.
Parents/Guardians must notify the teacher in writing of any changes to the child’s going home routine. Do not leave dismissal schedule changes on the teacher’s voice mail or email.
This safety rule includes but is not limited to:
- Changes just for the day
- A child going home with anyone not designated on the Emergency Form
- A child using a different bus for a play date etc. or the same bus but a different stop
- Any permanent changes to your child’s dismissal schedule. The office will update the Emergency Form with your permanent changes.
When a change is to occur, a note from the parent/guardian gives everyone, including your child, a clear message for the end of the school day and the teacher, the child, and in some cases, siblings and the bus line monitors, all have the correct information at dismissal.