Dear Parent or Guardian:
We are pleased to enclose an overview of the Columbus School’s “report card.” Report cards answer important questions about a school’s overall performance and contain specific information about student enrollment and teacher qualifications, student achievement, accountability, how a school is performing relative to other schools in the district and the state, and the progress made toward narrowing proficiency gaps for different groups of students.
In this report you will find the following important information about our school:
Student enrollment and teacher quality: This section of the report card provides information about the students and teachers in our school as compared to the district and the state. If your child attends a school that receives federal Title I funds, you also have the right to request the following information about the qualifications of your child’s classroom teachers:
– Whether your child’s teacher is licensed in the grade levels and subject areas they teach;
– Whether your child’s teacher is teaching under an emergency license or waiver;
– The college degree and major of your child’s teacher;
– Whether your child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.
Assessment results: This section of the report shows how our students are performing on the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) for 5th Grade Science and Technology and Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) tests as compared to the district and the state. Because we took PARCC last year, the school was held harmless.
School and district accountability information: This section of the report contains three important pieces of information:
– Accountability and Assistance Levels: Schools and districts are placed into one of five accountability and assistance levels (1-5), with the highest performing in Level 1 and lowest performing in Level 5. Our school has been placed into Level 2. One school in the district increased their scores and so we are no longer Level 3.
– School Percentiles: A school percentile between 1 and 99 is reported for most schools. This number shows the overall performance of our school relative to other schools that serve the same or similar grades. Our school percentile is 14. This means that our school is performing higher than 14 percent of the elementary schools in the state.
– Progress and Performance Index (PPI): The PPI is a number that indicates our school’s progress toward narrowing proficiency gaps, or, in other words, helping all students reach proficiency and be prepared for success after high school. Massachusetts has set a goal of reducing proficiency gaps by half between the years 2011 and 2017. For a group of students to be considered to be making sufficient progress toward narrowing proficiency gaps, its cumulative PPI must be 75 or higher. The Columbus PPI did not meet target.
To improve student achievement in our school, we are conducting MOCK MCAS 2.0 sessions three times per year at all grade levels – 3 through 5, Tuft’s tutors for grades 2 and 3, Mystic Valley Elder Care Services to offer support in the classroom, the support of a Math Coach, practice with Open Response type assessment questions, implementation of Response to Invention blocks, instructing students to reply to all assessment questions with best estimates, and differentiated instruction; to name a few instructional strategies.
We encourage you to become involved in helping us improve our school. Some of the ways you can become involved are:
– Encouraging your child’s learning at home;
– Attending parent-teacher meetings and other special meetings;
– Serving as a volunteer in our school or district;
– Encouraging other parents to become involved.
For the full report card visit http://profiles.doe.mass.edu. For more information about our school’s report card or to request information about the qualifications of your child’s classroom teachers, please feel free to contact us at 781.393.2177 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kathleen KayView Fullscreen